I need an arrow

Wed Jun 21 18:50:13 UTC 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 11:39 AM, CWren at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
> As to the surface symbol--  I asked about that one a long time ago,
> in regards to the sign "English," which I couldn't make sense of in
> something I was reading, because the handshapes were on top of each
> other.  At that time, I was told that the surface symbol was pretty
> much used only in research, not in everyday writing.  So I have
> avoided it ever since.  You are confusing me now...  ::holds head
> and whines::

Very interesting discussion. Glad the List is posting again!

Regarding the Surface Symbol...you are both right!

It adds a lot of good detailed information. But it is also advanced
and was definitely considered for research for a long time. We
memorized the way the sign for English was spelled, without the
Surface Symbol, and we read that sign just fine. But I can see why it
is hard to read too...

So when I read your sign for MAINSTEAM, Cherie, I didn't even realize
that the under hand was an index finger extended...I read it as a
fist because I could not see the index finger...

So I do not know if the Surface Symbols should be used for everday
use or not...I think if we can find other ways to show it visually
then that is better, but Stuart's writing is accurate! So I guess we
should relax about the Surface Symbol...if you feel it is needed
sometimes, go ahead and use it!

smile

so let's place both ways in SignPuddle for now...