handshape construction

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jun 22 16:51:00 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
June 22, 2006

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> I found a new handshape - it is needed to sign "Namibia" as it is
> performed in Namibia
>
> flat hand down - thumb aside and index bent like in "x"
>
> My question
>
> Did I follow the rules if I construct it this way - (see attachment)

Hello Stefan!
Thank you for this question, and thank you for your fine work with
Ethiopian handshapes!!

As you know from the previous message, Ethiopian handshapes, in
detail, are now scheduled for July. I am planning to create a
calendar of my schedule for the List, from now on, so we all know
what is happening better...smile...

Regarding handshape construction rules...

Download this Manual

IMWA Reference Manual 2004
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0144-SSS-Manual-2004.pdf

On page 72, in the chapter:
Handshape Construction and Sequencing Guidelines...

It explains the Handshape construction rule that the LOWEST finger
determines the Rootshape...So what is the lowest finger of the
handshape you want to write? The lowest finger is the bent one, and
that lowest finger is in the shape of a CLAW...so the Rootshape is
the CLAW, not the square for the fist...continued next message...