(no subject)

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 29 10:23:34 UTC 2006

Dear Sebolebo,

let me turn your question around:

Why must hearing children and adults learn to read and write? - They can do
without, humans have done for thousand of years, and many still do. But in
our modern society, literacy is a must. A language that is not written, is
held in lower esteem. Those who cannot read and write their own language,
but have to use another languge for reading and writing, get a more
difficult task sorting their own thoughts for presentations etc. The best
way to learn to read and write another language fluently, is to first learn
to rad and write one´s own language. This goes for any language, spoken or
signed. So the real question should be: Why should Deaf children and adults
not learn to read and write their own language, using sign writing?

Ingvild