A question about "bigness" of signs

Tue Mar 7 13:52:41 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 7, 2006

Barbara Pennacchi from Italy wrote:
> we were wondering over how to mark the only difference between one
> sign from another, i.e. the "bigness" of the movement. The semantic
> change is just related to nuances of meaning, anyway....

Hello Barbara and Everyone!
Thank you for your question. Great to hear from you again...Actually
we have been writing different sizes of movement since the beginning
of the writing system in 1974, so this is not new at all. When
writing by hand, you have complete flexibility. The only limitation
that exists is that some of our software may not have all the sizes
you need when creating computer documents...that is why the IMWA
keeps getting bigger - ha!!

In SignWriter DOS, SignWriter Java, SignPuddle and SignText...there
is a Variations Key that you can tap or click on, that changes the
size of some arrows. Imagine you have a Movement Arrow on the screen
selected, in SignText. If you click on the Variations Key, the
Movement Arrow will change sizes...usually three sizes.