left, right and both arrows

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 9 17:42:15 UTC 2006

Because the hands are the same shape, and doing a straight line, I'd tend to write it with a combined arrow.  If they moved around (like butterflies in the stomach), I'd have to do something different (and hard to write) (smile).

  Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
  SignWriting List
March 9, 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> Just for my feedback on this issue, I've been using the "joint
> arrow" for parallel paths moving in the same direction for years.
> It makes a much faster way to write "long and winding path" and I
> think, for me, it goes with the "feel" of the sign. If it feels
> like two hands moving separately, like "two people walking side by
> side" then it gets two arrows. Mostly, I'd write it for straight
> out, or any forward/back arrows, but not for up and down. It's
> parallel and simultaneous motion with the same handshapes on both
> hands, or different if the two handshapes are holding on to each
> other, for me.
> That's my personal style.
> Charles Butler

Hello Everyone, Philippe and Charles!
Thank you for informing me, Charles. I can see that this probably
will become official in time, that SAME PATH and PARALLEL PATH will
both be under the General Arrow definition...but we need to pin some
things down first before we make that leap officially...

For example, you said above that you would not use it for up and
down...does this mean that you would write the sign for DEPRESSION
with two arrows?

Philippe wants to use one for that sign...see attached...