ASL signers...please read this and give your response...

Fri Mar 10 14:54:28 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 10, 2006

Ingvild Roald in Norway wrote:
> Or maybe it would be better if the pic signs stay in the same
> pudle, but with the 'surname' pic - then they would be awaylable to
> see, and could be re-written by the one who wants to use this sign,
> and thus be (slowly) changed into new symbols -

Hello Ingvild and everyone -
That is exactly what we have right now, Ingvild, and have had it that
way, from the beginning. There are only two Puddles that have this
problem...the US and Germany. We all had a lot of signs in the old
SignWriter DOS format, so Steve placed those in the Puddles as
graphics and it says it is a graphic when you go into Dictionary
Editors. And the idea was that we would all re-do all those signs,
but we haven't...what has happened instead is that people add new
signs, and the old ones rarely get changed...so now we have a
dictionary that cannot always be used because it is not pure
SWML...you don't have that problem in Norway, and I am glad!

I believe that the old ones will never be completely changed if we
leave them in the US SignPuddle because people see the pics and don't
realize that they have to be changed...then later they are frustrated
when half the US dictionary cannot load signs into SignText...smile...

Which is another comedy! We developed SignText with the hopes that
people would add their signs directly, just as we type English
without copying and pasting from a dictionary, but instead we are
bringing signs already written into SignText anyway - ha! So the same
problems we had with SignWriter DOS are happening again...SignWriter
DOS had an excellent way to type directly, without using the
dictionary, but people used the dictionary to paste signs
instead...and SignText can do both too...

I guess by having American signs that cannot load into SignText from
SignPuddle...maybe it is a blessing in disguise - ha! Then people
have to create directly in Sign Language instead of using glosses to
paste signs from a dictionary! smile...