Changing SW font size

AdamFrost icemandeaf at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 11 02:30:46 UTC 2006

I will go ahead and use the smaller font size even thought it doesn't look the best right now because it works the best for me and is the easiest. I can always change it when things get better. :-)
Adam
-----Original Message-----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Date: 03/10/06 05:28 PM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Changing SW font size

SignWriting List
March 10, 2006

Hello Adam and Steve!
Your SignWriting blog in ASL sounds very exciting, Adam...I am really
looking forward to that!

Thanks to Steve, we have an automatic way to make SignWriting bigger
and smaller, using SWML in SignPuddle, and maybe someday for
sentences in SignText...the larger size does pretty well, but the
smaller size has some symbols that are not readable on the screen...

To explain, the old SignWriter DOS program had one irony...the
symbols look bad on the screen with SignWriter DOS, and at normal
sizes even the printing is not that great a quality, but if you have
the correct laser printer that SignWriter DOS was designed for, and
if you choose the correct Print Formats, the printing on paper at
smaller sizes is absolutely beautiful...that is because of a
Postscript Print Driver that Rich used...Postscript language for
laser printers is made by Adobe...the same people who make the PDF
format...and somehow by magic they could reduce SignWriting to tiny
tiny sizes and print without any problems reading the tiny
symbols...how is beyond me...and no one has been able to produce that
quality at small sizes when reading on a computer screen...

So we know it can be done and small sizes are very readable..it is
just a matter of getting that to happen on the screen as well...

One way is for me to create several sizes of the whole IMWA...I could
do a 75% per cent size of every symbol...clean each symbol up in
Photoshop and resave it to a folder called IMWA 75 percent...or
something like that...and if we had a 50 per cent and a 75 per cent,
then we could give people a choice of which size IMWA they
wanted...that would be a stable way to do it without SVG, but
unfortunately all this takes so much time...apparently SVG will give
us more sizes in the long run? Is that right, Steve?

So if you have only a few signs, Adam, that you want to reduce, then
I would create them or find them in SignPuddle, and save them as a
graphic and open them in a Paint of Draw program and reduce them and
clean them and then use them on your web site as gifs...

That is how I would do it right now...

Thank you, Steve, for the sizes we do have ...they are really wonderful!

Val ;-)