general arrowhead

Sat Mar 11 15:53:20 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 11, 2006

Hello Ingvild, Charles, Stefan, Philippe and everyone!
Thank you for your visual explanation, Ingvild. I immediately
understood what you meant when I saw it written in SignWriting!

In your example (attached), the first two already use the General
Arrow in SignWriting, following the current rules ;-))

So it is only the classifier example...the third one...that we have
been writing with two arrows...

The first and second ones are what I mean when I say SAME
PATH..obviously if the hands are touching it is the same path, and
even overlapping paths (the first one) are the SAME PATH...because
how else would you write it? The two arrows would collide with each
other...so the General arrow was designed for these kinds of cases...

The third one is not the same path, so it does represent teaching
SignWriting differently. Philippe was suggesting that signs like
DEPRESSION or my example of POSSIBLE would be written with one
general arrow, and that is what the Danes do I believe...

Although I understand totally what you mean about the feeling behind
the classifier, I think that some people would look at that and think
that writing DEPRESSION with one arrow would be the same thing...so
it makes it harder to teach...

So I think you should do just what you feel is best for classifiers,
and we can place that in books as an exception! smile... So it is
fine if you feel it is correct...I can see there is a feeling behind
it...smile...Val ;-)