SignWriting Terminology

Tue Mar 21 22:12:23 UTC 2006

We do write with the IPA, but just in dictionaries.  I think the IPA is
for daily use, (or at least as often as I open a dictionary).  I do not
know the entire IPA, but I do know the IPA symbols that are used for
English.

There are 3 parts to any word (or sign).

The spelling is what we read.
The sort order is how we sort.
The pronunciation is how we pronounce.

English writing combines the spelling and the sort order.
Pronunciation is only used in dictionaries.

ASL writing combines the spelling and the pronunciation.
Sort order is only used in dictionaries.

We can use the Roman alphabet for spelling and sorting, but not for
pronunciation.
We can use the IMWA for spelling, sorting, and pronunciation.

In time, we will discover what symbols are needed for each sign
language.  Then we will have the ASL alphabet, the BSL alphabet, ...
But for now, we are using the International Movement Writing Alphabet.

When I think of the IMWA, I think of an ordered set of symbols (an
alphabet).  When I think of a symbol in the IMWA, I think about the
symbol image and its id number (01-01-001-01-01-01).  This id number
makes sorting possible.

An alphabet is just an ordered set of symbols.  A system is a group of
things that combine to form a whole.  When we learn SignWriting, we are
learning more than just a bunch of symbols and their order.  We are
learning about all of the lessons, rules, and best practices.  The
alphabet of SignWriting is only one small part of the SignWriting
universe.  SignWriting is so much more...

-Steve