problem in the symbol list

Anne-Claude Pr=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=laz Girod acpg at VTXNET.CH
Tue May 2 20:08:26 UTC 2006

> De : "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
> Répondre à : sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
> Date : Tue, 2 May 2006 09:48:15 -0700
> À : sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
> Objet : Re: [sw-l] problem in the symbol list
>
> SignWriting List
> May 2, 2006
>
> Charles Butler wrote:
>> Try this.  It's all in how the thumb is projecting.  If it's
>> projecting to the side, it's shown to the side when possible.  If
>> pointing toward the reader it can be shown as a circle or to the
>> side for clarity. If I'm wrong with the flat hand, point it out to
>> me, but I think this is the system I learned.
>
> Anny, Charles and Everyone -
> You understand it fine, Charles! Very well indeed.
>
> Anny was trying to point out to me that I had entered the symbols
> inconsistently in the IMWA and was asking me to change them so they
> look the same down the whole row (is that what you meant Anny?)...

I don't asked you to change them... if you can do it that would be more
consistent... and more logical to my point of view... but it's not
important... I thought the symbols were wrong and wanted to point it out...
to make sure

> In the attached, see how the first one has a thumb line that is
> perpendicular to the palm, but the second one has a thumb line at a
> diagonal to the palm?...see the attached...
>
> There is nothing wrong with either of these versions of the symbols,
> but Anny thought maybe there was a difference in meaning and was
> pointing out to me that the symbols were inconsistent...
exactly... it got me confused!

> So you understand it just fine, Charles - no problem..
>
> I will try to make the symbols consistent shortly...but to update the
> symbols in SignText will take time because it takes some
> programming...and I believe once the updates are done to the IMWA,
> that you may have to re-download SignText to get the new symbols,
> Anny...so go ahead and use the symbols that are there right
> now...they are ok as they are anyway...just the difference between a
> thumb straight out, and a thumb at a diagonal...

grreat!!¨and don't worry about this... it's not a priority!!!

Anny