SignWriting Table at NAD Conference

Thu May 25 16:52:17 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 25, 2006

ANNOUNCING!

There will be a SignWriting Table in the Exhibit Hall at the NAD
Conference in California this summer!

At the table, we will give away free copies of the Deaf Perspectives
on SignWriting DVD as long as they last....We will also have free
literature, such as Lucinda's article Deaf Perspectives on
SignWriting, which is written in ASL.

The table will be under the name Deaf Action Committee for
SignWriting, and Adam Frost has kindly agreed to stand at the table
with me during the conference. THANK YOU, Adam! I look forward to
meeting you in person for the first time...and I am now finding out
that several of our old DAC members will be attending the conference,
so it will be like a class reunion for me...smile...Every Deaf person
who was involved with writing signs in the mid 1990's had an
influence on the way we write today...Many of them have no idea what
has happened in recent years...so I look forward to telling them
about our active SignWriting List, our web sites, new software etc...

Why did the DAC stop meeting back in the 1990s? The main reason was
that I was very ill and didn't think I would survive long, and it was
hard for me to raise the funds to continue to sponsor the DAC
activities...Then different DAC members moved away to other cities
and life went forward with a new era...one of computers...which was a
real blessing for me while I was ill...but I am better again
(smile)...I feel the urge now, to be more in touch with my American
friends...SignWriting is not that well known here in the US, by those
who do not use computers...

And, as you know, Stuart Thiessen and Philippe Galant, NAD members
from Iowa, will be presenting a workshop on Written ASL and
SignWriting, at the NAD Conference...I will probably be standing at
the SignWriting Table during that workshop, but Adam can attend to
tell me all about it...and Stuart and Philippe....I am happy to give
you free DVDs and literature to hand to participants in the workshop,
if you would like them...

or I could mail you the literature and DVDs to Iowa in advance, if
that is better for you...perhaps it would be nice for you to have
them in general at your office in Iowa?...If there is anything else
you need, just tell me...

Val ;-)

2006 NAD Conference
http://www.nad.org/conference