Grasp Contact and Grasp Between

Tue May 2 02:57:41 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 1st, 2006

> Anny from French-Switzerland wrote:
> question: what's the difference between these 2 symbols?... when do
> you use the first one...I coulnd't explain it to the week-end
> participants... do you have examples of words using only the +
> symbol ??

Attached is a list of the Contact Symbols. The GRASP Contact means
taking something and holding on to it...like holding someone's hand,
or holding a spoon in your hand while you are eating, or grasping
your shirt in the sign for APPLY in ASL, or two fingers linking and
grasping each other like in the sign for FRIEND in ASL...There is no
Tension...it is just holding hands...smile...

All Contact Symbols can be BETWEEN. The two lines represent two limbs
and the contact is happening BETWEEN the two limbs or body parts...so
GRASP BETWEEN, in DanceWriting, could be holding a prop between your
ankles...it is grasping something while you are between two
surfaces...like pinching between two fingers...it is really rare.
Simple Touch Between is the between symbol most used in SignWriting...