problem in the symbol list

Tue May 2 16:48:15 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 2, 2006

Charles Butler wrote:
> Try this.  It's all in how the thumb is projecting.  If it's
> projecting to the side, it's shown to the side when possible.  If
> pointing toward the reader it can be shown as a circle or to the
> side for clarity. If I'm wrong with the flat hand, point it out to
> me, but I think this is the system I learned.

Anny, Charles and Everyone -
You understand it fine, Charles! Very well indeed.

Anny was trying to point out to me that I had entered the symbols
inconsistently in the IMWA and was asking me to change them so they
look the same down the whole row (is that what you meant Anny?)...

In the attached, see how the first one has a thumb line that is
perpendicular to the palm, but the second one has a thumb line at a
diagonal to the palm?...see the attached...

There is nothing wrong with either of these versions of the symbols,
but Anny thought maybe there was a difference in meaning and was
pointing out to me that the symbols were inconsistent...

So you understand it just fine, Charles - no problem..

I will try to make the symbols consistent shortly...but to update the
symbols in SignText will take time because it takes some
programming...and I believe once the updates are done to the IMWA,
that you may have to re-download SignText to get the new symbols,
Anny...so go ahead and use the symbols that are there right
now...they are ok as they are anyway...just the difference between a
thumb straight out, and a thumb at a diagonal...