SignWriting Workshop at NAD Conference 2006!

Fri May 19 04:56:24 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 18, 2006

Dear SW List Members!
There will be a SignWriting workshop presented at the NAD Conference
this summer, taught by Stuart Thiessen and Philippe Galant.

The NAD is the US National Association of the Deaf. Each state has
Deaf representatives. The NAD Conference brings all the state
representatives together to vote on Deaf issues, plus lots of fun too
for the whole family....For example, there is a Miss Deaf America
Beauty Pagent, booths for Deaf products and educational workshops.

This year the NAD Conference is held in California, in Palm Springs
(Palm Desert) which is a beautiful desert resort about an hour away
from where I live. I live near the ocean in La Jolla. We drive East,
toward the desert, up over some mountains, and on the other side, is
this vast desert, and right in the middle of it, is this oasis of
green irrigated plants and lovely rich hotels...it is the city of
Palm Springs, where all the movie stars vacation from Hollywood...

I haven't been to Palm Springs since the mid 1980's...so I am
gathering money together now so that I can attend, plus I am trying
to find the funds to help some of my friends and co-workers to attend
as well...

I am so looking forward to meeting Stuart and Philippe face to face
for the first time...Thanks to you both for applying for this
workshop and making it happen...

The workshop is called:

Expanding Our Toolbox: Examining the Benefits of Written ASL

That is a good name!

Plus, take a look at the last workshop listed on the web page below...

Workshop List
2006 NAD Conference
http://www.nad.org/2006confworkshoplist

notice it is presented by Butch Zein?! Butch is teaching how to setup
a videophone....Butch is an old DAC member and is on the Deaf
Perspectives on SignWriting Video Series which you can view now on
Google:

SignWriting Videos
http://www.SignWriting.org/video

I haven't seen Butch for years so this is going to be exciting to see
him again and catch up with old times...

Hope some of you can attend the SignWriting workshop this summer!!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting