AW: [sw-l] Irish fingerspelling / Toe spelling

Tue May 23 21:38:31 UTC 2006

Hi Neil,

SignWriter are the better observers - smile - but honestly - since I became
fascinated by this possibility of movementwriting I can focus my attention
on different parameters in order to be able to write what I see.

The most unusual finger spelling alphabet that came to my eyes is the EMA.
I cannot believe that people can learn and even perform that in a reasonable
time!

Greetings to Eyasu ;-))

Stefan ;-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Neil Bauman
Gesendet: Dienstag, 23. Mai 2006 22:42
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: Re: [sw-l] Irish fingerspelling / Toe spelling

Hi Stefan:

>any idea why the Irish people sign only the "Z" with the left hand? - smile

Boy you've got sharp eyes! I think it was a mistake on the part of
the artist. I have another fingerspelling chart from the RNID, and it
clearly shows that it is supposed to be the right hand like all the
others. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the link to this particular page.

Interesting that 16 of the 26 letters are exactly the same as ASL and
another 3 very close.

I have a number of finger spelling alphabets, but the most unusual
one I have  is "toe spelling" that people use who don't have any
hands/arms and so they use their feet to "toe spell." Unfortunately,
I don't have a clue where I got it from--somewhere on the internet though.

Regards

                                         Neil

Neil Bauman, Ph.D.
Center for Hearing Loss Help