SW textbooks with all illustrations ?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Nov 19 15:17:04 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
November 19, 2006

Andre Thibeault wrote:

> And now, I ask you all, do you own a SW Textbook with all or more
> illustrations ?, because if you did, it could help Deaf
> professionals better understand the above.
>
> Best regards,
>
> André Thibeault

------------------

Hello Andre!

Thank you for sharing with us....and your question is a good one!

Five points...

1. I agree there should be more illustrations in the old Lessons in
SignWriting textbook...No one would disagree with that! But I
appreciate it, that Anny took the time to translate it into
French...thank you for your hard work, Anny!

2. Yes...There are 2 OTHER textbooks with better illustrations, but
the 2 books are NOT in French:

SignoEscritura, by Steve and Dianne Parkhurst
in Spanish and Madrid Sign Language
There is also an English translation of this book.

You can download chapters from SignoEscritura on the web:
http://www.SignWriting.org/spain

and

Handbuch zur GebaerdenSchrift, by Stefan Woehrmann
in German and German Sign Language
http://www.SignWriting.org/germany

I have permission from the publisher to translate the Handbuch into
English, but I have not done that yet...

I can send you a copy of each book through the postal mail, but
neither of these books are in French...

3. Learn one on one in private tutoring using Sign Language is best...
It is better to teach without any books at all if we can... One on
one teaching of SignWriting, using Sign Language, in a private lesson
is always the best way to learn SignWriting...That is why I hope to
start teaching directly using ASL (the best I can as a hearing person
with a hearing accent) directly one on one on videophones...

You and any of your Deaf teachers could have lessons with me on
videophone, free, on Skype or other videophone technology, and I bet
the need for a textbook would go away...then after that, Deaf people
need to start creating their own materials that really work for
them...I know that takes time, but right now, we can learn directly
by videophone...

4. For teachers who already know SignWriting, why use textbooks at
all with new students?
I personally do not use textbooks when I teach SignWriting. I start
with a written story, like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, written in
SignWriting in ASL, and I hand the book to the Deaf person, and we
have fun trying to figure it out together. When they read a sign
correctly, I tell them that is exactly correct, and I explain one
symbol in that specific sign, and then we go on to the next sign in
the story...and they start reading...after awhile, they have read the
whole story and feel pretty amazed...and this is with NO
textbook..Later I go back to give them more details about
symbols...after they are reading literature a little...

So you are correct, Andre, that the textbooks are more for those who
do not have teachers...for long distance learning, and for reference,
but real teaching needs to be more visual and more direct...

5. Make an appointment by videophone
I would be happy to meet your Deaf teachers face to face! I would
suggest using Skype vidoephone that does not require any new
equipment except for a camera on your computer...It is free:

Download Skype software for video conference
http://www.Skype.com

So write to me for an appointment to learn SignWriting by video...

Does your school have D-Link videophones?

Val ;-)
Sutton at SignWriting.org

tel 858-456-0098   fax 858-456-0020
D-Link Videophone: 66.27.57.178