handicapped child - able to listen and understand - unable to speak

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 15 16:27:36 UTC 2006

I believe the Boy Scout Manual has something on it. If not, contact the Navajo Embassy in Washington, DC.  They would be thrilled to be consulted.

  Charles

Jason Hopkins <codenosher at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
          Charles,

Do you have a source that I can look up about the one to one correspondence between the images in the talking blankets and the sign language?  I'm doing a paper on writing systems of sign languages and that may prove to be an interesting note.

thanks,
Jason Hopkins

  ----- Original Message ----
From: Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM>
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 10:56:08 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] handicapped child - able to listen and understand - unable to speak

  I would like to point out for historical purposes that the Sign Language of the Plains Indians was not developed for deaf people but for hearing people of different tribes.  It was specifically created so that people could learn a common language even if their spoken languages differed and it became the "lingua franca" of the Plains Native peoples for more than 500 years.  Though they did not write their language down, the pictographic system used on the Navajo/Dine "talking" blankets had a one-to-one correspondence with the sign language.

  Chinese, as well, is a writing system with multiple spoken languages reading the same "symbol" for the spoken word.  One can learn written language without necessarily agreeing on how it is "spoken."

  Sign Writing can help bridge that gap for those whose first language is sign language, or whose first language is a spoken language which for any number of reasons they cannot speak clearly.  It is one way to start with symbols and work to the primary writing system of a given country, without giving up the primary sign language or its unique grammar in the process.

  So, far from being a "stop gap", I believe that Sign Writing can be liberating to help open up minds to a way to express their beautiful languages.

  Charles Butler