SW curriculum

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Oct 9 17:50:45 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 9, 2006

Andrée Gagnon from Canada wrote:
> And now I would like to learn more about SW curriculum.  Do you
> have a Sign Writing curriculum from kindergarten to grade 12 for
> deaf children, not adults?

Unofficially I did try, back in 1998, to establish a relaxed-form of
a curriculum...it was an attempt to standardize teaching the reading
and writing of ASL in SignWriting...by creating books at different
SignWriting Levels...including:

SignWriting Level 1: Beginners
SignWriting Level 2: Basic
SignWriting Level 3: Intermediate
SignWriitng Level 4: Advanced

SignWriting had already been used in schools in Nicaragua, for
example, back in 1996...So this development of SW Reading Levels,
which I did in 1998, occurred AFTER James and Judy Shepard-Kegl
established the Bluefields School in Nicaragua.

SignWriting was taught in Denmark from 1982-1988 in schools for young
Deaf children, and in Nicaragua since 1996, without any of these SW
Reading Levels being a part of their experience.

The SW Reading Levels came about in 1998 with a new project I called
the SignWriting Literacy Project, where teachers apply for the free
books, and then I print the books and donate them to the classrooms...

The reason I tried to develop Reading Levels was because I could see
that teachers in the US were not using SignWriting. Other countries
were using it before my own native country. So I was trying to figure
out a way to assist teachers to try SignWriting in their classrooms,
by providing basic books at different levels, to help the teachers
get going. I figured they would tell me later, if the Levels worked
or not! Years later I was told that they seemed good...but of course
more research needs to be done...

The original idea in 1998 was to create 4 SignWriting Level books for
the following literature:

Goldilocks
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White
Humpty Dumpty
Tortoise and the Hare
Poem: One Harbor

I have all of these on videotape signed in ASL by native ASL Deaf
signers, waiting for someone to transcribe them...

But instead, what happened is...I completed the four Levels of
Goldilocks and that is all. We started Cinderella, but never finished
all the Levels of Cinderella.... Oh well. I pray someday we can get
to it. If there is anyone out there who would enjoy transcribing
these videos I would love your help!

Until we get to it, I can donate copies of the four levels of
Goldilocks to ANY teacher with Deaf students around the world, if
they fill out the forms, and write a letter on school stationery,
asking for the materials officially.

So Andree...if you know of teachers of the Deaf who want the donated
materials, please ask them to go to these links, to fill out the
forms to apply for the donated materials:

SignWriting Literacy Project
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/teach001.html

Letter of Confirmation on School Stationery
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/teach005.html

Web Reports
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/teach002.html

I hope teachers from Canada will want to participate!!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org