Italics for Proper Names in SignWriting?

Thu Oct 26 16:54:10 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 26, 2006

Hello Bill, Stefan and Steve!
The solution, I feel, for the equivalent of a capital letter for
Proper Names...is to someday program it so we can make a Proper Name
BOLD or Italicized....in SignWriting.

We already have seen Italicized SignWriting and BOLD SignWriting when
using TrueType Fonts

and it can be read beautifully!

So I vote for italicization of Proper Names in the future...

Just one more thing to program ...so this may take time...but that is
my vote...

Val ;-)

-----------

On Oct 26, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Bill Reese wrote:

> Val,
> Excuse me for jumping in here but I found the question about the
> personal pronoun a bit intriguing.  I have problems understanding a
> name sign as I may not recognize it as one.  Some sort of mark to
> indicate it would help out - at least for me.
>
> After considering a few shapes and positions, and figuring that
> Stephen would probably prefer a single stroke, I had to wonder if a
> curved line would work, similar to this but without the top line:
> <08-02-001-01-05-01.png>
>

> A curved line that transitions to straight would be easy to make
> and is similar to the movement used in the ASL for "introduction".
>
> Bill
>

> Valerie Sutton wrote:
>>
>> 2. A horizontal line under a sign, when writing in vertical
>> columns, means a hypen -  like this -  so underlining your name,
>> when you wrote from left to right in SignWriter DOS did not hurt
>> anything, because when you write from right to left it didn't mean
>> anything else because a hyphen is vertical in that case, but now
>> that you are writing down, the horizontal line means something
>> else...it means a hyphen...so you need to find another way to mark
>> a Proper Name when writing vertically...I personally see no need
>> to mark a Proper Name because I can see that it is a Sign Name
>> pretty easily without any underlining, but anyway, if you must
>> mark that we need to find another way to do that when writing
>> vertically...why not use a color to mark the Proper Name for your
>> students? You can color signs, before creating the PDF in the PDF
>> feature...so you could make all Proper Names red or green or
>> whatever color you want!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting