Proposta

Thu Sep 14 23:43:01 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
September 14, 2006

Jorge Miranda from Portugal wrote:
> Olá Valerie,
> Andei a fazer uma pesquisa para o meu projeto de tese de Mestrado
> em Língua Gestual Portuguesa e Educação de Surdos na Universidade
> Católica Portuguesa de Lisboa - Portugal e proponho realizar um na
> área do SignWriting, uma vez que não existe nada sobre o mesmo em
> Portugal e está mais que na hora de o dar a conhecer aqui em
> Portugal, e cheguei a uma possível conclusão: porque não deixar de
> continuar a procurar e avançar com esta proposta de tese tendo como
> co-orientadora a pessoa mais indicada mais para o ser: Valerie
> Sutton!!!
> Ninguém mais e melhor do que você para me ajudar com este sistema
> da escrita a adaptar à Língua Gestual Portuguesa (LGP). Será que
> você aceita o meu convite? Mas para isso também precisava de saber
> primeiro se possui algum título académico, isto é, se tirou algum
> curso superior universitário, se tem grau de mestre (mestrado) ou
> de doutor (doutoramento), requesitos necessários para a orientação
> da minha tese de grau de mestre.
>
> Fico à espera da sua resposta.
> Cumprimentos.
> Jorge Miranda

----------------

Hello Jorge!
Thank you for this message. I know there are others on the
SignWriting List who know Portuguese. So I hope others will help me
understand your question...

This is my best-guess as to what you said in Portuguese...

I believe Jorge wrote:

Hello Valerie!
I am preparing a research project as a part of my Masters Degree in
Deaf Education, using Portuguese Sign Language, at the University
Portuguese Catholic of Lisbon - Portugal, and I am considering using
SignWriting as a part of my thesis, something that does not exist yet
in Portugal. I have come to this possible conclusion: that who better
to teach me to learn SignWriting other than Valerie Sutton, to help
me adapt it to write Portuguese Sign Language (Língua Portuguese
Gestual - LGP)? Will you accept my invitation? But first I need to
know do you (Valerie) possess some academic credentials, that is, are
you at a university, or do you have a masters degree or a Ph.D, which
is a necessary pre-requisite for you to be my advisor of my thesis of
a masters degree. I am to the wait of its reply. Compliments. Jorge
Miranda

---------------

Hello Jorge!
Now I can answer you. I am here to teach you SignWriting anytime.
Anyone can ask questions about writing signs in SignWriting and I
will answer them, plus my non-profit organization here in the USA
will be happy to donate materials to any school in Portugal if they
write officially to request the materials. And I can train you to use
SignWriting over the internet.

But I do not have an academic affiliation. Other people with degrees
teach my invention in colleges and universities around the world, and
SignWriting is a profession in its own right. However, I personally
do not work at any university, nor do I have the position to be an
advisor of an academic degree. I started my own non-profit
organization in 1974, and we have spread the word that Sign Languages
can be written languages, but we all did that without requiring a
degree from anyone, because reading and writing must be free for
everyone around the world to use freely, both in and out of schools
and academic institutions.

And since I am unable to travel, it would be best for you to find
another person in Brazil or Europe to be your academic advisor.

So I can certainly be your teacher over the internet, but I cannot be
your academic advisor for your master's degree...

Since Portugual is a part of Europe, perhaps those who run the
European SignWriting Organization (the ESWO) can find a professor for
you, to act as your academic advisor. I would suggest writing to:

Dr. Ingvild Roald
ingvild.roald at statped.no
iroald at hotmail.com

or the ESWO
eswo at eswo.eu

or perhaps a professor in Brazil can be your advisor...

Please write to:

Dr. prof. Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa
rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR

Escola de Informática
Universidade Católica de Pelotas
Coordenador do Projeto SignNet
http://sign-net.ucpel.tche.br

I wish you all the best with this, and meanwhile, no matter who
becomes your academic advisor, I am here to answer your questions
about writing Portuguese Sign Language anytime...I look forward to it!

We have a Portuguese SignPuddle waiting for you to fill with signs in
SignWriting!

Go to:

Portuguese SignPuddle
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-PT/index.php

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting