question on SSS

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 2 23:07:44 UTC 2007

I am putting my oar in the water here.  Imagine you could not alphabetize using the Roman alphabet.

  The sign symbol sequence is ordered, so that in a dictionary you can look up signs.

  I set up my original Brazilian sign language dictionary in an ordered system following Signs for Everyday Use as a guide.

  Hands by themselves.  This is the first sort.  Signs are sorted by handshape by which fingers are being used using the number of fingers being used.

  So, all the 1s (pointer, crooked finger, ASL 1, ASL D, ASL X) are this group.

  Then all the 2s (ASL 2, ASL R, ASL H are in this group)

  And so on through all the groups.

  Then the next step is which of the 1s.  I sorted by the closed fist, index finger as the first handshape, then the open fist-index finger, then the closed fist-crooked finger, then the open-fist crooked finger, using the bend of the finger as the 2nd marker.

  And so on.

  Third marker is direction (the six palm facings, facing reader, half inward, back of hand, facing up, facing inward, facing down), plus the eight directions, starting at 12 oclock for either hand, then 45 degrees inward each hand, then 90 degrees inward each hand, then 135 degrees inward each hand, then 180 inward each hand, then 205, then 240, then 275.

  Do this for both hands in isolation.

  That's Group-Handshape-Palm Facing-Rotation

  Next level is contact.  Any time there is a contact between the two hands the type of contact and whether once or twice is considered.

  Touch (1,2)-Strike (1,2)-Brush (1,2)-Rub (1,2)-Hold (1,2)-In-Between

  So Group-Handshape-Palm Facing-Rotation-Contact

  Then add Body Location starting with the Head, then the Neck, then the shoulders, the left arm, the body, the right arm, the waist, the left leg, the right leg.

  And so on.

  Then Movement, (Up then 360 in XY plane, Up then up down 360 (YZ plane), Out and then 360 in the XZ plane).  This is about as far as I have gotten.

  A good example is these two Brazilan signs for Complicado (complicated) and Confusao (Confusion).  The only difference in the two signs is the speed of motion, which requires an ordering of:

  Group, Handshape, Palm Facing, Rotation, Contact, Movement, and Speed

  The following signs are ordered by this system.  Minimal changes noted to separate each sign from the next.

   Group 1, Palm facing speaker

   Group 1, Hand facing up and at 45 degrees down pointed toward the speaker.

  Group 2, Palm away from speaker

   Group 2, Fingers crooked

   Group 4, Palm facing speaker, rotation 90 degrees toward center

    Group 5, Hands half way, pointing up.  Note this is first (no contact between the hands).

    Group 5, Hands half way, pointing 45 degrees, Contact between the hands.

    Group 5, Hands half way, pointing 45 degrees, Contact, Hands move slowly.

  Group 6, Palm toward speaker, Pointing up.

   Group 9, Hands facing each other, no contact, wrist movement, normal speed.

  Hope that helps to explain the usefulness of the system.

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod <acpg at vtxnet.ch> wrote:
  Dear Val

  could you explain to me what SignSpelling Sequence should be used for ?
  I've never used it and don't know how I should use it and what for

  thanks for your help

  Anny

      Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod
  ruelle des chambres chaudes 1