Question: How do I teach SignWriting in 6 hours?

Tue Apr 10 16:26:10 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 10, 2007

QUESTION ABOUT HOW TO TEACH SIGNWRITING in 6 Hours
(my answer to a question I received)

There are two ways that I teach SignWriting:

1. With internet access and a computer...
Will your group have internet access during the presentation? Will
they have computers?

If YES, then I would teach them the symbols at the same time that I
teach them to use the new SignPuddle 1.5, which was just posted on
the web on April 1st...it is a good way to learn SignWriting because
it leaves the student with a useful tool they can continue to use,
long after the workshop is over...And while they are constructing
their signs using the software, you can teach them what each symbol
means and why the signs are constructed as they are...

Video Instruction Online (that requires no language)
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/help/SignPuddle15/

Finnish Sign Language SignPuddle Dictionary Online
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=57

VGT Woordenboek SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=44

French-Belgian Sign Language SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=4&sgn=43

There is a way to use SignPuddle without an internet connection...And
some Linguists are now starting to use SignPuddle software for their
linguistic research...Here is some info for them:

SignPuddle Private Servers used by some research labs
www.signwriting.org/archive/docs5/sw0475-SignPuddle-Software-2007.pdf

--------

2. Without computers, using standard printed materials...

There are two documents I use to teach in the standard way, knowing
that I only have 6 hours:

Document download page:
http://www.signwriting.org/about/info/

Choose Number 7 and 8 on that page: