SignWriting Receptive View

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Apr 15 19:03:36 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 15, 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Adam Frost wrote:
> I updated the captions. Here is the address if you forgot. I
> changed the title arrows to the sides because I felt that Cherie's
> hand was moving to the side instead of forward, but it was good to
> see that if they were forward that the arrows should have been
> below. :-)
>
> When I was updating the captions, I had made the changes that you
> explained in the last two emails before you sent them. I guess that
> means that I am catching on. :-) Are there any other things that
> needed to be changed? Because I changed the eyes looking forward in
> the very end to be down arrows. (I don't think that you have
> mentioned that yet.)
>
> And yes! This helps a lot. A question about the other hand shape
> that you were showing. Doesn't that mean that the five hand fingers
> are straight and not curled?

--------------

Hello Adam and Everyone!

Wow...that is what you call very very fast editing! Take a look at
the changes everyone:

Here is the link...

It really is soo much better!! And I am glad you caught the
eyegaze...yes of course that was needed ....you caught it, good!

That is fine about the movement side with the fingerspelling if that
is what you feel  it is...

The curled fingers version of that handshape is not in the IMWA
yet...you are right, but when we wrote receptive by hand years ago we
always wrote a curved version of it, so it does exist, but it has not
been added to the IMWA yet...but you can see that that viewpoint fits
well with videos and receptive...

So Adam, maybe you will be interested in creating ASL captions on
videos with James Short when he comes back from Japan? We are talking
about creating a real DVD that could be played in people's TV sets
and computers, that provides a variety of styles of captioning in ASL
to show people what variations are available...a little like a "proof
of concept" to show people what is possible that may lead to some
funding for a big ASL captioning effort...I could write a grant
requesting funding for this concept...