SVG symbols

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Apr 25 22:01:02 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 25, 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 12:57 AM, Pharos wrote:
> I noticed that in Steve Slevinski's correspondence with the Wikimedia
> language subcommittee, he raised the issue of SVG symbols several
> times.
>
> I am aware that bitmap-to-vector conversions are a fairly common
> activity at Wikimedia Commons, Wikimedia's image and media hub, mostly
> for flags and coats of arms which can be quite complicated.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/
>
> I wonder if some Wikimedia Commons people would be interested in
> helping with the conversion?  I can't guarantee that how many people
> will participate, but it does seems like the type of project that
> could generate significant interest among community members.  Before
> we raise this issue there, though, I would like to know (1) how big
> the job would be, (2) if the job can be trusted to technically savvy
> people who are ignorant of SignWriting, and (3) what the current
> copyright is (if any) on the bitmap symbols.
>
> Thanks

----------

Hello Pharos and everyone -

I want to thank you for this message, Pharos. There have been so many
messages since, regarding SVG, that your original message was almost
forgotten, until I reviewed it just now...

The idea of engaging the Wikimedia Commons to help us with SVG
development is an excellent and welcome idea, and was already
mentioned to me recently, by another Wikimedia member, so I just
learned about Wikimedia Commons:

Wikimedia Commons
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

For those unfamiliar with it, Wikimedia Commons is a web database of
1,390,757 media files to which anyone can contribute...so I guess, if
I understand it correctly, the SignWriting symbols could be posted on
Wikimedia Commons? Is that correct? I am certainly open to this, but
i need to read about it a little more to make sure I understand it...

I am showing my age (blush)...Years ago I posted all our symbols in
folders and placed them freely on our web sites for anyone to
download anytime...and never realized that the world started to use
Licenses to show people what kind of rights they had to use things on
the web...so I always thought of the symbols as free to download.
They are posted on this web site and have been there since year 2000
at least...I kept adding to it:

SymbolBank
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/

Scroll down. The symbol downloads link is Number 4 on that web page.
You will see Machado's SVG there as well...

And Steve Slevinski has also posted the complete IMWA symbols for
download on SignPuddle for several years as well...

So I guess I need to read up on Licences to understand them, and then
we can apply one of them to the entire IMWA symbolset...in both
bitmap and svg formats...that gives people the freedom they need to
feel comfortable to use them...I want people to use SignWriting
without fear...and to program using the symbols without fear...

Can you tell me a good web page that will list and explain all the
Licenses that are available?

And more importantly, what License would you like to see the symbols
under? The IMWA symbol glyphs themselves are separate from any one
computer program...the IMWA stands for the International Movement
Writing Alphabet.

Many thanks for your comments -

Val ;-)

---------