ASL sign for GRIEF

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Apr 6 04:29:26 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 5, 2007

Adam Frost wrote:
> That actually was the easy part. The hard part was to get the
> handshapes so that they are readable. Val had sugguested the wrist
> and arms to show it because it wasn't clear without it. I was
> wondering how you would have written the sign without seeing it
> already. Just from the movements. I was carious to see what other
> views on the sign were. It may be that this is the best writing. I
> don't know because I haven't seen others.

Hi Adam -
It would be good to see someone else write it, I agree...

How about a totally different tactic. I know you start the sign with
two flexed wrists in opposite directions, but in the middle of the
movement both hands have one second when both palms are equally
facing the floor...so if we start the writing of the movement at that
point, the palm facing will be read correctly without arm lines...and
if we put the movement symbols together as a unit with the rub in the
center it will give the feeling of the wringing of the towel...I
think it might be accurate enough...and a little easier to
write...what do you think?...It is in the ASL SignPuddle under grief
and sorrow...go ahead and change it as you see fit...and the
SignSpelling I was not sure if the facial expression was necessary as
a part of the spelling or not...