Further Progress on ASL Wikipedia

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Apr 12 02:33:03 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 11, 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 12:38 AM, Pharos wrote:
> I would encourage the members of the list to please have a look at the
> continuing discussions at the proposal page for the ASL Wikipedia; a
> number of new issues have been raised since SignWriting community
> people last participated.  In particular, any more detail on proposed
> methods for inputting SignWriting onto the wiki would be very helpful.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/
> Wikipedia_American_Sign_Language_2
>
> Just click "edit" to add a comment.  Don't be overly concerned with
> correct alignment of the different threads- I'll correct any
> formatting errors you may accidentally make.

Hello Pharos!
I just posted my message to the link you gave us above.

It was fun posting a message on Wikimedia.org...I hope I did it half
correctly! ;-))

Val ;-)

Here is a copy of the message I posted....

==== ASL Wikipedia Can Be Setup On The SignPuddle 1.5 Online Site
Immediately ====

SignPuddle 1.5 is software for SignWriting that has its roots in wiki-
based programming...

It provides a free-online dictionary and text editor (SignText) for
SignWriting right now, on the web, where people contribute both
dictionary-entries of individual signs, and also longer literature
documents, in an online SignPuddle Community...

SignPuddle Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

ASL Dictionary Online in SignPuddle 1.5
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4

ASL Literature Online in SignPuddle 1.5
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=5

I strongly suggest that we start a Wikipedia-Puddle for ASL on our
SignPuddle 1.5 site, using our current software exactly as it
is...This would mean that we could start the ASL translations of
Wikipedia articles as early as tomorrow, if we have volunteers to do
the writing and permission from Wikimedia of course.

To create the ASL documents and dictionaries for Wikipedia, authors
would be required to go to our SignPuddle 1.5 site to prepare the
documents and dictionary entries. Perhaps they could click on a
special link in Wikipedia that would take them to our Wikipedia-
Puddle on the SignPuddle 1.5 site, to do the SignWriting data entry...

This way, we could get started immediately without doing any extra
programming...we can even upload video connected with the documents
on our SignPuddle site, and the Wikipedia site could choose to load
those on their site or not, or just link to the Wikipedia-SignPuddle-
ASL site on our server.

The Wikimedia group could possibly transfer the documents from our
SignPuddle site to the Wikipedia site if they prefer, after they are
created on SignPuddle...either way would work is my guess...it would
be easier to just leave everything on our server...and visitors to
Wikipedia could be directed to the ASL Wikipedia on the SignPuddle
site...

If Wikimedia wants us to make SignPuddle function directly on the
Wikipedia site, that would take special programming changes and we
would have to write a grant together, as two 501c3 non-profit
organizations, to ask for funds to help pay for the re-programming
necessary...that would take a year or two no matter what, because it
takes time to write the grants and get the funding and then do the
programming...and then start the translations...but i am open on
starting the grant writing immediately too..

So I personally vote for us creating a special Wikipedia-SignPuddle
on our SignPuddle site soon...perhaps today...I really mean that...it
is that simple.

If you agree, we can setup a special Wikipedia-ASL SignPuddle, and
get started immediately.

We will need volunteers to start the writing, because at this moment
we have no funding for the project...We are happy to help people
learn to use the software.

Shall we do this? I look forward to your response!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org