Wikipedia American Sign Language

Pharos pharosofalexandria at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 22 04:24:25 UTC 2007

I don't think that the test article would have to be associated with
Wikipedia, really.  This group is already very well informed on what
Wikipedia is, and another translation of that article probably
wouldn't be so interesting to them.  I like your idea of an article
about a Deaf hero or some other topic associated with Deaf culture.
This would highlight the cultural value of an ASL Wikipedia.  In the
past, some new Wikipedias for smaller languages have "celebrated"
their opening with a flagship article about, say, a prominent regional
town, and then translated that into the other languages.

I've left a note at our "WikiProject Deaf" on English to ask for any
good suggestions they may have for translation.  I did a little
looking myself too, and so far one of the better articles on an
individual I found was for the Deaf painter John Brewster, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brewster%2C_Jr.