SignWriting on OmegaWiki ;-)

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Mon Apr 30 19:03:45 UTC 2007

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> April 29, 2007
>
> So at least we are starting the process on our own site...but in
> vertical columns...
>
> Regarding MediaWiki....
> No need for PDF...that was just one idea...so throw that out ;-))
> It sounds like that SWML-S then, would be the answer from what you say
> below...
Val, Steve and Gerard,
    Sounds to me like SWML-S or the new STML would fit the needs well.
One option to display any of these XML formats would to be use an XML
Stylesheet.  I transforms the XML at the browser level and convert it to
HTML to show the symbols each in their respective places.  I had posted
some of these quite a while back.
    For it to work, you would need:

   1. The whole IMWA in png in one directory to get the symbols from
      (This can be anywhere on the Internet)
   2. Have the xslt file on the same server as the XML file (I tried
      putting it on another server but it didn't work for me,  Maybe
      somebody else knows a workaround for this one)
   3. Have the following reference in the XML file to the stylesheet.
      <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="swml.xslt"?>
   4. A web Browser that can handle XML transforms. (Both Firefox and
      Internet Explorer handle these I don't know about the others)

Things that would need to be done to make the stylesheet work nicely.

   1. Get the SignWriting to display properly.  Currently, the signs
      have a lot of space between them.  Some adjustment may have to be
      made for the horizontal positioning as well.
   2. Split the Output into several columns using a Table and <td> tags
      every so many signs.
   3.

   4. Whatever other programming is needed to pass the XML file to the
      SignPuddle and back (I have a stylesheet that can send reopen the
      XML with the canvas page on the SignPuddle.  Though this may not
      be the most efficient way of doing it)

I hope to have time put a  small demonstrations together to show you
what I mean.

Anyways, first, I wanted to hear what the three of you, and everybody
else on the list of course think of this possible solution.

Jonathan

--

Jonathan & Yolaine Duncan