why signwriting in 21st century

Tue Aug 7 20:39:35 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
August 7, 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:11 PM, GerardM wrote:
> One great reason why learning SignWriting is so relevant, is that
> kids who learn SW first do better at school.

Excellent point, Gerard. This has now been backed up by two
statistical studies...one in Saudi Arabia in 2002, and another in
Jordan in 2007.

The first study in Saudi Arabia is now translated from Arabic to
English. It is an impressive document! I particularly like the
opinions expressed by the teachers and administrators, who really
felt the SignWriting helped their Deaf students.

Here is the link to download:

SignWriting Study 2002
Deaf Children Saudi Arabia
Dr. Mohammed AbuShaira
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs5/sw0487-AbuShairaSWStudy2002-
English.pdf

However, I know that is a long link, so it may get broken when people
try to click on it.

I wonder if we can attach PDFs to this new List? I do not know if the
List software will allow it, but let's try. It is attached...