writing rules?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 8 16:05:50 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
August 8, 2007

Hello Honza!
Thanks for the question below. SignWriting is based on the idea that
the paper you are writing on, or your computer screen, has an
imaginary 3-D if you imagine, in Expressive view, that forward or the
front wall is the top of the paper, and back is down at the bottom of
the paper....like standing on a raked (slanted) stage in a theater,
with your back to the audience...the reader is at the bottom of the
page.

So that is why the first number 1 in the attached has the hand closer
to the front wall slightly higher, because it is closer to the front
wall...it is a 3-D idea that we use...and for me that is enough
without the Surface Symbols. But then for accuracy, we started using
more Surface Symbols. For everyday use, I think the 3-D feeling is
enough to read for meaning probably...

Regarding writing the 5 hand one in front of the other and moving
together forward, here is how i would write it, plus side by side is
in this diagram too, to the right ...

the General arrow helps a lot because it shows they are moving
forward together on the same blended movement-path...so the reader
will guess that one is behind the other....