Quebec...Question writing sign PAPA

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 15 17:21:20 UTC 2007

> On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
>> I would like to know that do I follow a position rule for
>> symbols ?  For example, the head is above a contact.  The Contact
>> is above the 5 handshape.   Or should I write that head is above
>> the contact.  The contact is the right side of the 5 handshape ?

Hello Andre!
Please tell me if you can see this attached diagram. I found three
versions of Papa in the ASL SignPuddle (left in the diagram) and then
I placed your writing from Quebec, along with two attempts from me,
on the left in the attached diagram. The signs are very similar in
ASL and Quebec!

You wrote the sign very well! Just move the Contact Star near the Thumb.

The rule is to place the Contact Star near the Thumb, so we know that
the Thumb is doing the contacting. Otherwise the reader will think
that the wrist or bottom of the hand is contacting the head.

You can throw out the signs I wrote in your Quebec SignPuddle if they
are not what you want. I just put them there to show you ideas ;-)

See attached diagram: