French Sign Language in Togo

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Aug 21 14:16:25 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
August 21, 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 2:06 AM, GerardM wrote:
> Working on languages in OmegaWiki I came across the fact that FSL
> is taught in one school in Togo.. I wrote some ideas and questions
> that it raised for me. Maybe you know some of the answers .. :)
> Thanks, Gerard
> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2007/08/french-sign-language-in-
> togo.html

Hello Gerard and Everyone -
Thank you for this message and question. The question is more for
linguists. For example, on the Sign Language Linguist List (SLLING)
these are the kinds of topics they discuss...Here on the SignWriting
List we discuss writing any signed language, so if someone from Togo
wanted to show us some of their signs, we would write it for them,
whether it stems from French Sign Language or not!

As you know, back in the 1800's, a teacher from the US with a French
background...Mr. Gallaudet...studied French Sign Language in France
and brought it home with him to the US...so although American Sign
Language is a unique language in its own right, there are French Sign
Language influences, just as there are French spoken words in our
spoken English language...

So French Sign Language in general has had "influence" on a number of
signed languages around the world. I know that because when I lived
in Denmark and worked with the schools for the Deaf there, they
explained to me that their famous teacher Castberg, had also studied
in France at the same time as the American Gallaudet did...so Danish
Sign Language also has some French Sign Language influence, even
though Danish Sign Language is truly a separate language from French
Sign Language...

It just may be that in Togo their schools had teachers from France.
Then they learned French Sign Language in school...and of course
individual Deaf families out in the wilderness or in a remote area
may never go to school at all...and in those cases, those families
use their own unique signed languages and there are researchers all
over the world who study those unique signed languages...

But how does SIL and the Ethnologue know about such unique signed
languages in the wilderness in Togo?...it is hard to document those
signed languages...

You may be interested in a new book my Margalit Fox from the New York
Times called Talking Hands about this exact subject...a unique signed
language developed in a Tribe of people in the Middle East...one that
may not appear in the SIL Ethnologue.

Here is information:

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help