Writing Number 16 in ASL

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 22 18:53:28 UTC 2007

I personally agree. I think it would be better without the rotation. :-)

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stuart Thiessen" <sw at passitonservices.org>

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:46:58
To:"SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Cc:"Gallant Philippe" <pgallant at passitonservices.org>
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Writing Number 16 in ASL

I personally see no problem with leaving the rotation symbols out.
The palm orientations assume the rotation will have to take place
anyway, so we do not lose any important information. It makes it more
compact for page numbers. It would be a bit silly, but we could make
the "artificial" distinction between the name of the number (with a
rotation symbol) and the number itself (without a rotation
symbol) ... :-D. Probably not necessary though.

If we're taking a vote, I'd say let's try it without the rotation
symbol, but accept the rotation symbol as an alternate spelling if
people feel more comfortable with it.

What do other Deaf think?

Thanks,

Stuart