Writing Number 16 in ASL

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Wed Aug 22 19:24:34 UTC 2007

Thats it exactly!  Thank you!  Thats why I say I don't like
standardization, except for things like page numbers.  Those are read for
reading, so they can be standardized, I have no problem with that.  But
the main story is read for production, in that there are so many ways I
can make a slight modification to the sign, and it will make a big
difference in meaning...  so you can't standardize that.   You used the
perfect words, thank you!

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Stuart Thiessen" <sw at passitonservices.org>
Sent by: sw-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
08/22/2007 03:15 PM
Please respond to
"SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>

"SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] Writing Number 16 in ASL

It could be confusing, but only during this phase where we don't have
anything decided about these issues. Once a spelling became standardized,
then it would be the expected spelling ... whichever one is picked. :) For
me, I can read either one. When I read for production, the written form
says to stick my thumb out, but it feels wrong.  When I read for reading
:), I mentally comprehend the 10+6 and move on. So you could have issues
either way. It will just come down to us making a decision about it. :)

Stuart