AW: [sw-l] Writing Number 16 in ASL

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 23 15:53:22 UTC 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 1:37 AM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> I can understand your idea -
> and in addition to that ( instead of a critical but ..)
> my brain would start to work on that - instead just reading what is
> meant
> ... same thing happens with coloured SW-documents ...
> Stefan ;-)

Yes...we are writing the majority of the other numbers ...from around
26 on... without rotation symbols anyway...most of them are two
handshapes without rotation symbols, even though some of them do have
tiny rotations...so I just noticed when doing page numbers, that
16-19 were the exceptions...I noticed this because I am working on
publications and these issues come up...

Page numbers in SignWriting fascinate me. They are a wonderful way to
teach reading, because you have to read the symbols to be able to
find the page, and so they almost become like a puzzle! As you said,
your brain starts working and you focus on the symbols to find the
page you want...and the reward at the end is that you found the page!

;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help