Val is struggling with a defective internet connection...

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Thu Feb 15 15:20:25 UTC 2007

If you are on a cable modem, it could be that to many folks are accessing
the same amound of bandwidth all at the same time.  We had that problem at
home for awhile, until the cable company increased the bandwidth.

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
02/15/2007 09:42 AM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] Val is struggling with a defective internet connection...

SignWriting List
February 15, 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 6:12 AM, john tucker wrote:
> Sometimes the problem can be with your computer itself. If you are
> using Windows, one of the first things to try is to defragment the
> hard drive.  For most versions:
> Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter
> Hope that helps.

Hello John and Everyone!

THANK YOU, John, for this advice and I do appreciate it. And that
would make sense, if I were on Windows. Years ago I did that and I
remember it worked well for Windows...

In this case, I am on a Local Network with four Macintoshes. The
computer I use daily is the new Mac Intel, and it is very fast. The
problem is with the Local Network I believe...because all four
computers cannot access the internet as fast as before, and there are
times when the connection to the internet gets hung or stuck, and
other times when it works fine...so it is sporadically working slower
and unevenly...

So I replaced the router, and that did not change anything. Now I am
going to try to replace the modem, and possibly the gigabyte
switch...and if that does not help then it must be that some of the
connecting wires have gotten old. I have used them for over a decade
and never changed them...

Today, Steve sent me a link to download a big file for testing
SignPuddle 1.5 locally on my computer, and normally huge downloads
took a matter of minutes, and now the internet connection gets hung
and I cannot download it...so something is wrong...that is for sure!

But other than that, my life is good. I live in California and we do
not have any snow, but I understand the eastern half of the US has
huge snow storms right now, so if my modem is my only problem, then I
am the lucky one!!

Where are you located, John? Is it snowing? or are you in sunny
California or sunny Brazil? ;-)