General Arrowhead...Both hands move on same path...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 18 00:17:08 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
February 17, 2007

Hello Stuart, Adam, Charles, Kelly and everyone -
There are so many examples where all of you have used these arrows
properly, that it almost seems strange to have to explain it to
you...but I am happy to do it...just a little scattered with so many
jobs right now...I am sorry for my long silence...

I now have a new modem, and Steve has given me SignPuddle 1.5 on my
local computer to test it. It is a great program and I am enjoying
creating a clean database...eliminating signs that were doubled in
the old database...and remember those old signs from SignWriter DOS
that were loaded into the old SignPuddle as Graphics-Only? I am now
entering them officially so they are in SWML like the other signs in
the database, so when SignPuddle 1.5 is officially available we will
have a cleaner ASL database to work with...

And while doing this cleaning, ironically I found lots of General-
Arrowhead signs written perfectly correctly by all of you...so there
are only a few examples where people had a misunderstanding...

And I am fully aware that having a way to write BOTH Overlapping
Movement Paths and Parallel Movement Paths, would be really great...I
just want to explain why the General Arrowhead means Overlapping
Movement Paths...It goes back to the basic theories in Sutton
Movement Writing...the idea that our limbs paint lines in space...so
it was not based on linguistics, but based on writing general human
movement...and legs do this too...like when you are writing
handstands and your legs are moving together as one...ha! Acrobats
would love to know this ;-))

I believe that we can find a way to write Parallel Paths too...but I
would like to make a small differentiation between parallel and
overlapping because there are lots of times when we really need the
differences...

I know I said this before, but once again, I will post an example