DanceWriting

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 4 22:03:56 UTC 2007

Thanks Val for the correction, and the fact that it was Boston Conservatory makes it even more appropriate for Kim. (smile).

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote:
  SignWriting List
January 4, 2007

Oberlin? Really? No one ever told me that...Where is Oberlin?

I wonder if Charles, you meant the Boston Conservatory of Music's
dance department? I was on the faculty of the Boston Conservatory of
Music's dance department from 1976 to 1981. DanceWriting was a
requirement to graduate as a dance major from the Boston Conservatory
from 1976 until 1986...a full decade. We certified 85 DanceWriting
teachers from the Conservatory. DanceWriting is used in Argentina and
other places (smile) right now...and maybe it is at Oberlin...very
possible...I just found out about DanceWriting in Argentina
yesterday...so it would be great to learn about Oberlin!

But DanceWriting is not the point really, when it comes to changing
signers understanding that there is now a way to write Sign
Languages...if you mention DanceWriting, they will say that could not
be a writing system for signed languages...

So Kim, it is best to mention that SignWriting is used right now, by
small groups of people in over 40 countries, and it is growing and
spreading... and inform them that now ASL can be written and times
are changing... and then let them argue...controversy is good in a
way...people remember it and then later become interested...Val ;-)