Schools using SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jan 6 16:30:10 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 6, 2007

K.J. Boal wrote:
> Hi List members (particularly in the US and Canada),
>
> I'm about to start trying to advocate using SW in Deaf education
> here in Alberta, and I'm wondering if I could visit some North
> American schools that are already using it.  I'd like to see how
> it's being used, what educational advantages have been noticed,
> things like that.  I'm planning to be traveling in late March/early
> April, so I'd like to visit schools around then too.  Anyone
> interested?
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly Jo Boal

---------

Hi Kelly Jo -
I know you are coming to La Jolla, in San Diego, California, for the
CUNY Linguistic Conference at the end of March. I hope to be
presenting an Advanced SignWriting Workshop on April 1st, directly
after the conference, in La Jolla too, as you know...

James is in Maine...and then there are teachers using SignWriting in
Albuquerque, New Mexico and Georgia...I will give you those contacts
privately...

But there is quite a bit of documentation on the web. If a teacher or
school wants free donated materials in ASL in SignWriting, ask them
to visit our Teacher's Forum on the web, and fill out the forms to
join the SignWriting Literacy Project, and once I receive the
paperwork then I send them some Children's stories and SignWriting
DVDs to get them started...plus software etc...

SignWriting Teacher's Forum
http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/teachers

Read everything on that forum..there is a place to apply to join,
plus there is documentation from teachers and parents and students...

Dr. Cecilia Flood did her dissertation on Deaf children learning
SignWriting in New Mexico, so I would suggest contacting Dr. Flood
for her full dissertation. One chapter of it is on the web at the
moment:

Download number 68 on this web page:
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/thumbnails/00022.html

Plus numbers 69-72 on that page and the next one, are examples of
some of the New Mexico Deaf student's writing of ABC stories, I
believe...

OK...I am now going offline for the weekend to prepare the
Handwriting lessons for Monday...

See you all Monday morning California time!