Deaf Residential Schools in the US...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jan 7 05:27:23 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 6, 2006

Now that Cherie and Donna, at the Georgia School for the Deaf, have
initiated a SignWriting study, it is the first Residential School for
the Deaf in the US to try SignWriting...at least in one classroom...

To explain, SignWriting is used in schools in the USA, such as Hodgin
Elementary School in New Mexico, but Hodgin is not a Residential
School for the Deaf...it is a Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing program inside
a hearing school...mainstreamed I believe is the term...

And perhaps Georgia School for the Deaf is not all residential
either, but it is still a School for the Deaf. Generally there are
two in each state in the US...anyway...to have SignWriting used, even
experimentally, at a School for the Deaf is very important, I think,
for getting acceptance from the Deaf Community later...If Deaf
schools (not just mainstreamed programs) accept SignWriting then we
are reaching more of the Deaf Community...

Do you agree with this, Stuart? If more Deaf Residential Schools
adopted SignWriting it might gain more acceptance later? That is why
it would be so great if we could encourage more residential schools I
think...Val ;-)