Deaf Residential Schools in the US...

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 12 19:54:30 UTC 2007

Very good point Charles, and certainly Deaf kids who grow up in a signing
household have a much better advantage than Deaf kids who aren't exposed to
an accessible language until they enter school.  One difference between
multiple spoken languages and ASL/English bilingualism:  If a hearing child
is exposed to both languages from birth (as I was), they can grow up truly
bilingual and switch from one language to the other at the drop of a hat.
But for a Deaf child who can only be exposed to English in its written form
(or perhaps through something like Signing Exact English). . . how does that
kind of natural bilingualism work?  How can a Deaf child learn the flow of
spoken English when that will never be accessible to him, the way Belgique,
French and German are equally accessible to the hearing children you
mention?

Not that it hasn't been known to happen.  In America some years ago, there
was a self-contained community called Martha's Vineyard (probably some list
members have heard of it), where there was a high percentage of Deafness due
to some genetic thing.  Anyway, because nearly every family had at least one
Deaf member, everybody in the whole community was bilingual in ASL and
English, and although the Deaf and hearing children did attend different
schools, there was no problem with communication or making friends.  The
Deaf members of that community apparently didn't have the problems with
English that most Deaf have!  So perhaps natural ASL/English bilingualism is
possible under the right circumstances.

Thanks again for your input!

Kelly Jo