Deaf Residential Schools in the US...

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue Jan 16 00:24:25 UTC 2007

James, I agree with you 100%. I feel that ASL writing (substitute your
own sign language here) is valuable in and of itself for the access it
provides to anything written in it. How did I succeed in school as an
oral, hard-of-hearing person as a child?  Through reading. It really
wouldn't have mattered what language I was reading in. The point is
that I was able to access knowledge through reading.

My dismay is that American educators seem to evaluate every program for
Deaf individuals based on whether it will benefit their English
literacy. As a result, that becomes the measure of success. So, that
was why I made the comments I made.

Now, you are right that another angle into this is the excellent point
that you made. If we do a good job of creating quality SL literature
that provides knowledge that benefits their education as a whole, that
will be another avenue to creating interest in SW. If students have
information they can access that will aid their education, then
teachers will see the value in having that available for their Deaf
students. Hopefully, they will be as open-minded as the teachers in
Portland. :)

Thanks,

Stuart