Lesson 2, Handwriting Course

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Jan 16 00:35:51 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 15, 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 10:56 AM, wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM wrote:
> Perhaps "Abbreviation" could substitute?  So that "Valerie" would be
> abbreviated as "Val", and the signwriting shorthand could possibly be
> looked at similarly as "abbreviations"? Bill

Hi Bill!
Thanks for this comment...nice to hear from you again ;-)

Shorthand and abbreviations are two different things...

Abbreviations use the same alphabetic characters but just shorten the
spelling...

Shorthand uses different symbols...Gregg and Pittman shorthand, for
English, do not use the Roman alphabet I don't believe...they have
their own unique symbols...

And SignWriting Shorthand has a different symbol for several
symbols...one of the biggest differences is there is no palm facing
written at all in our Shorthand...Shorthand assumes knowledge of the
language in advance and is just to jog the memory...