Deaf Residential Schools in the US...

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 18 13:18:39 UTC 2007

That's why I loved the "Picture of Dorian Grey" in Nicaraguan Sign Language.  THAT could be a great story translated into various signed languages.

  Charles Butler

"K.J. Boal" <kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
  I agree with you on that; childrens' books and instructions are usually a
lot clearer than things written for adults. I think it has to do with
preconceptions; people expect adults to have a certain amount of knowledge
so they leave out some things, but they put everything in very careful and
simple terms for children. Trouble is, many adults - especially Deaf adults
- feel insulted if you give them a childrens' book to read. We need
something that looks more adult-level for adults.

KJ

>From: "Pauline Roberts"
>To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>Subject: Re[2]: [sw-l] Deaf Residential Schools in the US...
>Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:33:09 +0000
>
>Again Jonathan, you raise some good points. I think children's books and
>instructions are a great way for adults to learn from scratch. I remember
>when I was 18, struggling to learn chess. A boyfriend brought me a
>childrens book from the library he worked at for me to try and learn. At
>first I "poo poo-ed" the idea, but then when I saw the simplicity of the
>instructions it started to appeal. i.e. it talked about the white army
>and the black army, and each having soldiers that had to go across the
>field in a certain way etc. So certainly a good way in my humble opinion.

Don’t waste time standing in line—try shopping online. Visit Sympatico / MSN
Shopping today! http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca