SignWriting Article

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Sat Jan 27 01:11:51 UTC 2007

I agree with Ronald here. If the hearing community has not rejected
writing because of cassette tapes, LP's, and now CD's, then there is no
reason that they should block us from having a writing system as well.
I think we just have to keep reminding them of the value of the written
text. Let me give you one important example I have used.

If people tell me video makes writing obsolete, then I ask them a few
questions:

1) What if a terrorist attack hit the city or cities where our video
was being stored? Suppose they decided to use an EMP (electromagnetic
pulse) which is known to destroy electronically stored data? What would
happen to all the video and computer resources that we have stored? It
would all be gone and destroyed. Sometimes it is very valuable to have
our data in as many different media as possible in this day and age.

2) Consider video technology ... how many format changes, media
changes, etc. have we undergone in the last 20 years?  Many! VHS, Beta,
reel, etc. All the video data now being stored on VHS format may need
to be redone in DVD format. Now they are talking about a new format
called Blue Ray. How many more formats will be developed in the next
10-20 years?  By comparison, we still have readable copies of the
Gutenberg Bible from the 1500's, one of the first printed documents in
the world. Better yet, we have handwritten documents that can be dated
into the BC era. So for long term data storage, paper still beats
electronic data storage in terms of being available over a very long
term and still be readable. It is true that electronic data is more
searchable and saves a great deal of time, but the biggest challenge to
electronic data is the long term storage question.

I think these are helpful arguments to the usefulness of writing
systems as another tool for storing data.

Thanks,

Stuart