Reflexions on wrist flexes and rotations

Adam Frost adam at FROSTVILLAGE.COM
Mon Jul 9 03:30:55 UTC 2007

Hello Jonathan,

On 7/8/07, Jonathan <duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>The rotation arrow can either represent the curve of the thumb movement
around the axis-line or the curve of the baby finger movement >around the
axis-line. *(I don't know how to distinguish the two, could someone please
help)
*
This is a hard one to understand because there isn't a clean distinction. It
goes by the feel of what is leading the movement, the pinky or the thumb.
Maybe this will help a little. When you are doing a rotation, imagine that
you have to keep either the pinky or the thumb still. It will always be one
or the other. Ok, and example. In ASL the flat hand is used to show the
door. Now a door can open inward or outward. I have written those two.
Notice which is leading, the thumb or the pinky. Notice that it can not be
the other way around because one side of the door is on a hinge. ;-) I hope
this helps. If you need more clarification, just ask. :-)

Adam*
*