Role shifting

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 10 21:35:23 UTC 2007

I have tried the quotes before, but felt it was too simplistic for ASL's complex quoting. But then again, that was when I wasn't writting vertically yet. Something to see.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:27:32
To:sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Role shifting

On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:09 PM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I should also add that because some of these facial expressions
> that "spread" over a sequence of signs is predictable to users of a
> sign language, it will become easily read. Until you are used to
> it, it might require some "re-reading" initially. But I think over
> time one would say, "Hey, a question is coming up or some other
> commonly used feature is coming up." and then read it easily
> because it is helping you predict what is coming. So that
> linguistic knowledge that is available to a user of a sign language
> will work alongside the movement writing to make it easy to read.

Sure. You probably are right. I will be interested to see how readers
do with the Unit Lines, to see if they comprehend them well...

If so, I will need you to teach me exactly how you use them with
vertical columns, because I had trouble writing them personally...

While you brought up the subject of writing questions, and knowing if
a question is coming or not, we actually do have other alternatives
that could be used, but I am not asking you to do anything, and we
have never tested or used these at all...just a thought...

This could be a good research project for someone someday...

The other alternatives are the Question Mark punctuation symbols,
that can be put at the beginning and end of a sentence...this also
can warn you that the entire sentence is a question.

We also have Quote Symbols inside Period Symbols! I have no
idea...has anyone ever used these?

Maybe in a few days I can show you how I thought they might be used...