Rotation Symbols

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 6 02:44:08 UTC 2007

Hi Kelly Jo -
Thanks for your opinion. It is good to know that people like things
the way they are. And of course more symbols is not the point...it is
just more consistent as a whole, with the entire writing system...if
all the Movement Arrows had 8 rotations. The programming problems we
have with the Rotation Symbols can be fixed in some kind of special
programming without adding more symbols, I suppose. But adding the
basic 8 rotations would take away the need for special programming.
And I personally use the diagonal Rotation Symbols myself, and I have
missed it in the software over the years...

But enough on that subject. It is good to know your opinions...thank
you! It probably won't happen, and even if it does, it will be
another year to two years at least...

As you know, with SignWriter DOS, we could never have written the
handshapes from Ethiopia. At least now, with SignPuddle, we can add
new symbols when we want to, so we are lucky to be able to add new
handshapes when requested.

And speaking of adding new handshapes...that is another case where we
existed very well without the Flat Hand on the Diagonal Plane, or the
In-between Palm Facings, or the different degrees of open and closed
Angled hands, and many other detailed handshapes we have in the
ISWA...so the truth is that it is up to the writer to choose how much
detail they want to write with, and if they wish to use some detailed
symbols from the ISWA, which is the equivalent to the IPA, then I
guess it is for them to choose that...or not to choose that, as the
case may be...

I think it is great that you are choosing to write simply, Kelly Jo.
That is the best for everyday use for sure...

By the way, there is no need for me to add bigger arrows either to
the ISWA. That would create more additional symbols and I will never
ever be able to get every variation of size needed, so just combining
existing arrows, like this sign, is a way to do it without having to
construct a new symbol...and I would assume that it is not jerky but
the arrows are showing continuous movement from one arrow to the
next... Val ;-)