wrist flex versus rotation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 6 20:21:50 UTC 2007

Rotation Symbols never existed in the beginning, because we just
wrote the beginning and ending positions...so there was no need for
Rotation Symbols. But when people wanted to shorten the writing of
signs I developed the Axial Symbols, basing everything on an Axis,
called Axial Movement...which includes both Rotation Symbols and
Wrist Flexing.

In Rotations, the forearm is the Axis.

In Wrist Flexes, the wrist is cut by a line, which is the axis...so
the line does not represent the forearm...it is an imaginary line
cutting the wrist...I was wrong before...

Rotations write Palm Facing changes, and Wrist Flexes write hand-
angle changes....

Here is a chart that might help...and there is one more coming and
then I must turn my computer off for the day. Val ;-)