wrist flex versus rotation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 6 21:42:43 UTC 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
> I see what you mean. I was just wondering because I can bend my
> wrist so my hand goes from side to side and forward to back, but
> when I have my wrist bent forward like the Cherie's sign for wow, I
> can't bend my wrist side to side. My forearm rotates. I even tried
> holding my forearm so that it won't and I can't get the up down
> movement in the hand.
>
> Adam

I see. If that is the case, then we are seeing different signs. See
the attached. What do you see in these photos? This is a screen
capture of the two positions of the sign. In this picture, I see the
white palm facing Cherie's chest both in the beginning and ending
position. Am I wrong? Does her palm finish facing the floor? To me it
looks like her fingers are pointing down to the floor at the end, but
that is still a white palm towards her body...Do you see this as the
palms facing the floor? If so, then it is the movement like the sign
for BAD, instead of ARGUE ;-))